It seems that the shortage of ADHD medication in the USA is lasting much longer than anyone thought it would.
In this article, it is explained that the shortage is related in part to the increased demand for ADHD medication, as well as the DEA controlling the amount of the active ingredient forwarded to the pharma companies to allow them to produce the medication.
It seems that the medications impacted are: Adderall XR, as well as generic Adderall, and generic methylphenidate.
The article referenced above has a quote from the director of the FDA drug shortages program. It’s interesting to me that the FDA has a program for drug shortages. It makes sense… and then the question is – what are they doing about this?
And why is it that it is predominantly the generic medications (which are cheaper and have less profit involved) which are having trouble with supply?
I’m really interested to hear what is happening on the ground out there. Please share your comments and experiences in the comments below:
- Are you impacted by this shortage?
- Have you been struggling to get the prescribed medication for yourself or your family member?
- What have you done about it?
- Have you had to purchase a much more expensive brand name product?
- Have you taken less medication to ‘make your prescription last’?
Thanks for sharing your experiences. By sharing here, you can let people know what is happening – without it being ‘filtered’ by mainstream media.